Add To Favorites

Contractors injured while working at Utica nursing home

Observer-Dispatch - 1/3/2020

UTICA -- Forty people were evacuated and two contractors were injured Friday afternoon following an electrical fire at The Grand Rehabilitation and Nursing Utica, according to city fire Chief Scott Ingersoll.

Emergency crews at 1:42 p.m. responded to the facility, located just south of the Faxton Campus of the Mohawk Valley Health System.

Ingersoll said two contractors were shocked when they were working on the electrical system.

Both of the victims suffered serious burns and were taken to the St. Elizabeth Campus of the Mohawk Valley Health System, the chief said.

A fire was sparked inside the room where they were working, but firefighters contained it, Ingersoll said.

About 40 people were evacuated from the affected wing, as there was smoke in the hallway outside the room, he said.


(c)2020 Observer-Dispatch, Utica, N.Y.

Visit Observer-Dispatch, Utica, N.Y. at

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

Nationwide News